Goodyear was established in 1917 with the purchase of 16,000 acres (65 km2) of land by the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company to cultivate cotton for vehicle tire cords. World War II was important to Goodyear in the 1940s as the current Phoenix Goodyear Airport was built, but after the war, the economy suffered. Goodyear became a town on November 19, 1946. At the time, it had 151 homes and 250 apartments, a grocery store, a barber shop, beauty shop and a gas station.
World War II Luke Field Auxiliary #6 (Goodyear Field) was built by the United States Army Air Forces in 1943. It served as a satellite airfield for Luke Army Air Field (AAF). According to the History of Luke AFB, this airfield boasted the most facilities. It had separate buildings for crew chiefs, operations, supply, barracks, pit latrine, crash truck shed, generator shed and a control tower. Luke AF Auxiliary #6 ceased operations by 1971.
The property, which is in a state of complete abandonment, is owned by the State of Arizona, which has worked with developers on proposals for use.
See the gallery of images below.
Modern history In January 1965, the Phoenix Trotting Park, a harness racing track opened, the current Interstate 10 passes north of the site. As the region lacked major roads from Phoenix to Goodyear, there was not enough business and the track closed two years later. The Park no longer stands, as it was demolished in 2017. The park had been abandoned since the late 1960s.
The town became a city in 1985. In the same decade, the remaining 10,000 acres (40 km2) of the original farmland was sold for future development. The Phoenix Goodyear Airport received its current name in 1986.
About the Neighborhood
The ARMLS Logo indicates a property listed by a real estate brokerage other than ours.
© 2022 Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.
Listing Information Current As Of Jul 4, 2022 1:31:pm